Me :)

Me :)

Tuesday 31 December 2013

Mid-Term Manifesto Update...

Mid-Term Manifesto Update...

As it's come to my second term in office, I thought it was time I took a look back at that manifesto I
was elected in upon last May and give you all an update as to how I've been getting on ...






Enhance Campus atmosphere by organising varied activities such as bungee jumping and zip-wiring.
 
During freshers I organised a bungee jump that was open to all students. Having gone £1800 out of pocket to host the event, the overwhelming positive feedback and environment made it worth it. I'm also working with our RAG to see if we can host a zip-wire event in Newport in the new year (Newport bridge). We have also given free reigns to students to host their own events in our union venues.
 
Represent and be a presence on all campuses.
 
I've attended over 200 meetings so far, which have spanned across all five campuses. I have also ensured that I attend each campus at least once a week and am currently successfully managing to do this (thanks to my trusty clio!). It's proving very difficult to remain a presence on all campuses with all the travelling I need to do and the meetings I need to attend but I am doing my best.
 
To remain loyal to traditions by fighting to continue the legacy of events such as May ball, as I have done this year and opening such events to all regions.
 
I brought this up as soon as I came into office and have been analysing figures and stats for the past six months. I have also presented a case for the event at multiple Trustee Board meetings and have been contacting a number of companies for potential sponsorship. I am now looking into a variety of alternate events, where we can create a new integrated tradition under the new institution. I have been in talks with a club in Cardiff with regards to venue and am now talking through costings etc. I'm hoping to present this proposal to Trustee Board in the new year and have it passed in time for February to launch tickets.
 
Increase student consultation in Union decisions.
 
Students have been included in all Union decisions. We have student Trustees from all regions that assist in making decisions from the highest ends. We also have three quorate student councils that can pass proposals and mandate us sabbs. We have also increased our student involvement in the running of the union, having students run events, run the website, taking on volunteer positions etc. We also ensure that logo decision making are passed to the students and have been conducting multiple surveys to get student input on decisions/plans. We are also working hard with SVR's and course reps to feed up student opinion on a variety of matters. We have also launched a research platform for students to impact and organise this years SLTA's (student lead teaching awards).
 
To defend and extend the rights of all students across all campuses.
 
As I mentioned earlier, I have attended over 200 meetings on varied campuses. I have fought for various things such as facilities at Atrium II, City campus space developments, development of a Glyntaff SU space, Treforest side gate accessibility issues and the cash machines and IT issues at Caerleon. I am often fighting for things on behalf of our students and always working on mandates fed through our student representative channels. On top of this I have also been taking on casework from multiple campuses and succeeding in most cases.
 
Keep an up to date profile on decisions and things I am doing as a sabbatical officer on a regular basis.
 
We have increased our social media stream 100% this year. I launched a new Presidential Twitter and Facebook, which have had a record number of followers/friends. I've been posting updates on what I've been doing throughout the term. I've also began a blog (this one) collating everything I've done and have also included all meetings attended on which campus for reference. I've also updated the website to include a 'Sabb Corner' tab which gives students insight on who we are and what we are currently working on. I'm also in the process of launching my belonging campaign which advertises all council members in each region as well as boosting the feeling of belonging in each region.
 
To increase integration between campuses.
 
We've ran a night to Oceana on a Monday which is open to all campuses. We've also set up integrated student rep groups on facebook and integrated all social media streams and groups. I'm also in the process of running a belonging campaign as mentioned earlier, which will be lead by our SVR's. All SVR's have also met and worked together on multi-campus issues etc. I'm also in contact with students at all regions and we are currently looking at running an event for the Chinese new year in 2014. As was mentioned above, I am also looking at running a collaborated end of year event in 2014.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment